User-generated content is everywhere. When a customer posts an artsy Instagram of his coffee, leaves a comment on a brand’s recent Facebook status, or writes a review about a recent menu change, he is creating user-generated content (UGC).
Companies like Starbucks and GoPro are known for their heavy use of UGC in their marketing campaigns. Starbucks often reposts customer’s artsy coffee Instagram pictures and they have hundreds of comments on their Facebook posts every day.
GoPro posts their customer’s photos and videos to their Facebook and Instagram accounts daily, providing their followers with beautiful moments captured by their own customers using the famous “World’s most versatile camera.”
But we get it, just because other companies are doing it doesn’t necessarily mean yours should simply follow in their footsteps without knowing the details. So, here are 12 reasons why your brand should incorporate user-generated content into your social media strategy:
1. User-generated content is 35% more memorable than other media
2. User-generated content is 50% more trusted than other media
3. User-generated content is 20% more influential on purchase than all other media types
4. User-generated content helps alleviate the pressure on your company to constantly create new content
5. User-generated content makes your content more real and personal
6. User-generated content helps increase engagement rates and brand awareness
7. Using User-generated content shows your customers you value them
8. User-generated content provides social proof – “if someone else uses this product and likes it, then I will probably like it too”
9. User-generated content helps you understand your target audiences
10. User-generated content helps SEO by boosting social signal, which increases search visibility
11. User-generated content is more affordable- it’s an effective way for businesses to save time and money
12. If you don’t leverage user-generated content and manage your community, your competitor will
Now that you understand the power of user-generated content, it’s time to implement it into your marketing strategy. Check out these 10 ways to encourage user-generated content to start gathering valuable content from your fans and customers!